The “Freigeist” Fellowship – General Information
VolkswagenStiftung’s “Freigeist“ Fellowship is open to all disciplines and focuses on extraordinary postdoctoral researchers with a strong personality who work at the borders of established research fields and engage in risk-taking science.
The Fellowship, scheduled for a minimum of 5 years
- offers the freedom to develop one’s own research profile,
- provides a maximum funding amount of one million Euro for one’s own position, further personnel, as well as consumables, travel expenses, etc.
- has flexible funding periods and can be adapted to provide for unexpected occurrences during the course of the project and one’s personal development.
- outstanding scientific qualifications, as well as a creative, innovative, and visionary idea
- interdisciplinary work and independent development of an unique angle or new methodological approach
- the doctorate must have been obtained no longer than 5 years previously
- candidates must have changed their academic environment at least once, or leave the working context of their doctorate
- experience abroad
- the research project must be integrated within a university or extra-mural research institution in Germany
For detailed information regarding Fellowship requirements, see: